78% of Irish consumers are planning to shop online this Christmas as the big freeze keeps them at home, according to a new survey by 3, Ireland’s largest high-speed broadband network. Although spending is likely to fall this Christmas, online retailers are set to reap the benefits with those living in Connacht and Ulster most likely to engage in online shopping (81%). Books, DVD’s and CD’s will take centre stage under the Christmas tree this year as the most popular gifts for those surfing the net instead of pounding the pavement.
Damien Gallagher, Project Director for 3’s National Broadband Scheme said he was not surprised by the survey findings “Broadband is now available in 99% of the country due to the roll out of The National Broadband Scheme by 3, making the internet even more accessible, even in rural parts of the country. Now people can shop from the comfort of their armchair no matter what the weather is like and it is clear from the economic climate that consumers are willing to shop around for a bargain and the internet offers unlimited choice”.
Other highlights from the survey undertaken by Empathy Research include:
- 81% of those surveyed in Ulster/Connacht will buy online this year compared to 79% of their counterparts in Dublin, 77% of those in the rest of Leinster and 77% in Munster.
- 88% of 35-44 year olds will engage in online shopping over the festive period compared to 75% of those aged between 18 and 24 years.
- The most popular items shoppers are likely to buy online include books (41%), DVD’s (35%), CD’s (30%) Clothing (28%), games (25%) cited the respondents
- 15% of 25-34 year olds plan to buy groceries online compared to 5% of 18-24 year olds, 5% of 35-44 year olds and 7% of 45 years +
- Respondents without children are more likely to buy online (83%) compared to those with children (75%)
- Respondents without children are more likely to buy books (43%) compared to those with children (39%)
- More men are planning to buy laptops and computers online (12%) compared to females (5%)
- More females will buy clothes online (34%) than males (22%)
With only 13 days to Christmas and only 9 days to the final chance for Christmas post, consumers will be pounding the virtual pavement looking for the perfect, well-priced and easily accessible gift.
For those interested in getting broadband with 3, call 1800 949 519 or visit www.three.ie